- Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering. University of California, San Diego. June 2006.
- M.S., Materials Science and Engineering, University of California, San Diego. January 2003.
- M.S./B.S. (Diploma di Laurea, 5 yrs), magna cum laude, Mechanical Engineering. University of Ancona, Politecnico delle Marche, Ancona, Italy. December 2001.
- ETH Zürich, CH (January 2013 to present)
Professor, Chair in Mechanics and Materials
- California Institute of Technology, Pasadena (December 2010 to present)
Professor, Aeronautics and Applied Physics
- California Institute of Technology, Pasadena (September 2006 to 2010)
Assistant Professor, Aeronautics and Applied Physics
Honors and Awards
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE), White House, Washington D.C., July 2012.
- JSA Young Investigator Lectureship, Society for Experimental Mechanics, June 2012.
- Sloan Research Fellowship, February 2011.
- JFK 50 Years, Legacy Gallery, January 2011.
- Brilliant 10, Popular Science Magazine, October 2010.
- Richard C. Biedebach Memorial Watson Lecture, May 2010.
- ONR Young Investigator Award, Office of Naval Research, April 2010.
- Future World Leader, Science and Technology in Society forum (selected as one of 10 scientists under 40 worldwide, one of two representing the USA), Oct. 2009.
- NSF CAREER Award, CMMI, January 2009.
- Lister Vickery Trophy, 1st prize winner of the "INSEAD Comitel 16th Business Venture Competition" (Solitonik), June 2008.
- Richard-von-Mises-Prize, awarded by GAMM (Association of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics), April 2008.
- Sigma Xi, Scientific Research Society, elected Full Member, 2007.
- Felice De Carli Medal (Young Investigator Award), Italian Metallurgical Society, Nov. 2006.
- Selected scientific News Coverage: CNN, Scientific American, National Geographic, Discover, Discovery Channel, CBSNews, MSNBC, NPR, NPR Canada, London's Telegraph, Popular Science, Science Daily, EurekAlert, Daily Caller, Yahoo News, R&D Magazine, Thaindian News, ANSA, La Repubblica, La Stampa.
University of California, San Diego
- Gold Award Winner, MRS Graduate Student Contest, MRS 2005 Fall Meeting, Nov. 2005.
- APS/SCCM travel award recipient, August 2005.
- Materials Science Fellowship (UC San Diego) for the year 2004-2005.
- Jacobs Fellowship (UC San Diego), September 2001-2002.
- Selected as one of the ~40 nation best engineering graduate students by Animal Planet/Discovery Channel TV to participate in the filming of "Chasing Nature" episodes in Australia, October 2005.
- Selected scientific news coverage: Nature News, National Geographic, Scientific American, Science Daily, EurekAlert, PhysOrg, New Scientist, Nanowerk, La Repubblica.
University of Ancona, Politecnico delle Marche, Italy
- First Prize Winner for the Rotary Club International Thesis Award, Ancona, May 2002.
- Honors, Thesis Publication Reccommended (Dignita’ di Stampa) December 2001.
- Selected by ESA (European Space Agency) in the Italian students representative for the International Aerospace Conference in Toulouse (FR) in September 2001.
- SEM - Society for Experimental Mechanics
- MRS - Materials Research Society
- APS - American Physical Society, Topical Group of SCCM, SNP
- TMS - The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society
- WISE - Women In Science and Engineering Society
- SigmaXi - The Scientific Research Society